Church of St. Ignazio of Loyola

Roma, Piazza di Sant'Ignazio

  • Location: Roma, Piazza di Sant'Ignazio
  • Address: Piazza di Sant'ignazio
  • E-Mail:
  • Phone#: +39 06 6794406 (segreteria lun - ven 9 - 13)
  • Visit lasts: 1 hour (about)
The Chapel of the Collegio Romano, it was built, in 1626, on the location of the Church of the Annunziata from the 1500s, too small for the students, and dedicated to the father of the Society of Jesus, canonized in 1622. Providing the money for its construction was primarily Cardinal Ludovico Ludovisi, nephew of Gregory XV. The architect was the jesuit Orazio Grassi, under the supervision of Carlo Maderno, but the church remained without a dome, in place of which, another jesuit, Andrea Pozzo, created the painted illusion of one (1685).