Attenzione: a causa dell'emergenza sanitaria alcuni musei, luoghi d'arte, mostre ed eventi culturali in Italia resteranno chiusi o sospesi sino a data da definirsi.
Basilica of Saint Clement
San Giovanni, Esquilino, Monti
- Location: Basilica of Saint Clement
- Address: Piazza San Clemente
- Phone#: 06 7740021
- Opening: Access to the acheological site: every day from 9am to 12:30am and from 3pm to 6pm. Sunday and holiday from 12am to 6pm.
- Price: full €5 - reduced €3,50
- Transportation: Bus: lines 571, 85, 850. Metro: line A, station Manzioni; line B, station Colosseo
- Visit lasts: 1 hour (about)
Built upon a “domus ecclesia”, a private residence used as a place of worship by early christians, in this case, the house of Clemente, subsequently martyred under Domiziano and later identified with the Pope of the same name (Clement), this is one of the most fascinating places in the entire city. This is because here it is possible to travel through the ages visiting two churches built one on top of another, roman ruins and a mithraeum, finally coming to a stream of the Tiber.
THINGS TO KNOW: Built under Pope Siricius at the end of the Fourth Century, it was destroyed by the Normans in 1084, buried and then rebuilt by Pope Paschal II (1099-1118).