Attenzione: alcuni musei, gallerie e luoghi espositivi potrebbero essere temporaneamente chiusi al pubblico.
The Roman dwellings of Celio
Appia Antica, Aventino, Ostiense
- Location: The Roman dwellings of Celio
- Address: Clivo di Scauro
- Phone#: 06 70454544
- Opening: Every day from 10 to 1pm, from 3pm to 6pm, closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays
- Price: ful l€ 6 - reduced € 4
- Transportation: Bus: lines 60, 75, 81, 175, 673. Metro: linea B, station Circo Massimo. Tram: line 3
- Visit lasts: 1 hour (about)
Reopened to the public in 2002, they make up an incredible archeological complex, that allows us to imagine what life was like in the roman age. Traditionally, these finds were considered as belonging to the domus, where Saints John and Paul lived and were martyred in the age of Julian the Apostate (361-363). The more than twenty hypogeum spaces are spread out over two levels and have frescoes dating from the Third Century to the late Middle Ages. Besides the dwelling from the Third Century, there are traces of a preceding insula, a typical roman dwelling, as well as a hot spring bath, in which there is a fresco depicting Dionysis and Thetis Under the Sea. There is also a museum with the archeological finds of the area occupied by the Basilica.