Attenzione: alcuni musei, gallerie e luoghi espositivi potrebbero essere temporaneamente chiusi al pubblico.
Basilica di St. Maria del Popolo
Flaminio, Parioli, Villa Borghese
- Location: Basilica di St. Maria del Popolo
- Address: Piazza del Popolo 12
- Phone#: 06 3610836
- Opening: Every day: 7am-12am and 16pm-7pm. Sunday and holyday: 8am-1:30pm and 4:30pm-7:15pm
- Transportation: Metro: line A, station Flaminio
- Visit lasts: 1 hour (about)
On top of the Porta del Popolo, its side is next to the perimeter wall of the city. It is built upon the location of the Mausoleum of Domizi Enobarbi, where Emperor Nero was buried. A chapel was built here in 1099, enlarged in 1227, then virtually rebuilt under Sixtus IV between 1472 and 1477, probably by Andrea Bregno. It was entrusted to the augustinians by the Lombard congregation. After the addition of baroque embellishments to the interior and the facade at the start of the 1800s, Valadier destroyed the old monastery when reworking the piazza and the rise to the Pincio.