Attenzione: alcuni musei, gallerie e luoghi espositivi potrebbero essere temporaneamente chiusi al pubblico.
National Museum of Prehistory and Ethnography Luigi Pigorini
Eur, San Paolo
- Location: National Museum of Prehistory and Ethnography Luigi Pigorini
- Address: Piazzale Guglielmo Marconi 14
- Phone#: 06 549521
- Booking phone#: 06 5917319
- Opening: Tue. Wed. Thur. from 9am to 7pm. Mon. Fri. Sat. from 9am to 1.30pm. Sunday closed
- Price: full € 6 - reduced € 3
- Visit lasts: 1 hour (about)
This is the most important museum of ethnographic finds in Italy and one of the largest in the world for important finds of non-european countries as well. It was founded in 1875 and it gets its name from its director. The bulk of the collection came from the defunct Museo del Collegio Romano opened in the 1600s in the building of the same name by a german jesuit named Athanasius Kircher, who obtained the finds thanks to missions by his fellow jesuit brothers in China, Brasil, Canada, and from Cappucines in Congo and Angola.