Attenzione: alcuni musei, gallerie e luoghi espositivi potrebbero essere temporaneamente chiusi al pubblico.
The Basilica of Saint Praxedes
San Giovanni, Esquilino, Monti
- Location: The Basilica of Saint Praxedes
- Address: Via di Santa Prassede 9a
- Phone#: 06 4882456
- Booking phone#: 06 4882456
- Opening: Everyday from 7am to 12pm, from 4pm to 6,30pm
- Transportation: Take the subway and get off at Vittorio Emanuele.
From here you arrive at Via Carlo Alberto, Via di S. turns to Vito and cross the street to reach Via di S. Martino ai Monti.
At the first street on the right is Via di Santa Prassede.
- Visit lasts: 1 hour (about)
Already existent in 489, the church was rebuilt under Paschal I (817-824) moved from its original position for fear of collapse and embellished with the celebrated mosaics of the so-called "carolingian renaissance". Today, the main entrance is on the side of the church, however, there is an interesting medieval portico in the facade, outside of which can be seen the remnants of a courtyard from the paleochristian era which was even used as a storage area throughout the centuries. Noteworthy are the modifications made in the 1560s by Cardinal Borromeo (future San Carlo) following the sensibilities of the counter-reformation.