The Crypt of Skulls of Santa Maria dell’Orazione

Roma, Via Giulia 262

  • Location: Roma, Via Giulia 262
  • Address: Via Giulia 262
  • Visit lasts: 1 hour (about)
At the beginning of Via Veneto is this tiny church, built in 1575 and rebuilt by Ferdinando Fuga (1733-37). The arch-cofraternity had the principal responsibility of burying unidentified people drowned in the Tiber or found dead in the countryside.
The crypt has a macabre charm: more than 8000 bodies were buried here by the end of the 1800s. Everything in it is made of skeletons: decorations, sculptures, lamps and even a basin for holy water.