Sant’Andrea at the Quirinale
- Location: Sant’Andrea at the Quirinale
- Address: Via del Quirinale 29
- Phone#: 06 4740807
- Opening: Every day from 8.30am to 12am and from 3:30pm to 7pm. Sunday from 9am to 12am and from 4pm to 7pm
- Transportation: Metro: line A, station Barberini
- Visit lasts: 1 hour (about)
One of the absolute masterpieces of baroque architecture. It was commissioned by Cardinal Camillo Pamphilj, nephew of Pope Innocent X, to Gian Lorenzo Bernini in 1658, who built a concave facade with corinthian columns and a triangular pediment, contrasting with the convex elipse of the hall of the interior, The church, completed in 1678, is built upon the site of the ancient Sant'Andrea a Montecavallo. The two lateral wings of the facade recall conceptually the "embrace" of the colonnade, also designed by Bernini, for Piazza San Pietro.